Which brings me to this...

If it is a requirement to use -release option to compile ContentSigner implementation class in order for them to be usable (with some older release of jarsigner), then ContentSigner classes could as well be removed from the JDK 15 API because their signature will still be available to the javac with appropriate -release 14 or older option. So compilation would still succeed.

Peter