On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 02:49:29 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This change fixes the DER encoding for ECDSA AlgorithmIdentifier to omit the
>> parameters field instead of encoding a
>> Null tag.
>
> I don't quite understand what the test is for. The bug is about encoding but
> the test seems to be decoding the
> certificates. Does the test fail before this fix and succeed after it?

This is because the encoding of Algorithm Identifier incorrectly adds two NULL
tags to the parameters field in the
canned certificate. (There are two Algorithm Identifiers in the cert, with each
NULL tag containing two bytes:  tag +
length.) I use the length of an encoded certificate
(x509Cert.getEncoded().length) to verify that the certificate
contains an extra 4 bytes to hold the two NULL tags. Therefore, the certificate
without the fix should be 4 bytes (5
bytes if one byte alignment is applied) longer in length than the certificate
with the fix.