Open to discussion on that. It's also highlighted in the TLSv1.3 RFC.

The TLS spec doesn't require a fatal alert to be issued when closing inbound without receiving the peer's close_notify. I've seen a handful of applications making JDK upgrades which are seeing regression as a result of this new JDK check (like the one described in this bug). If we're to keep the check in the JDK, should we restrict it to the v1.3 protocol or should we implement it based on a system property perhaps ?

regards,
Sean.