On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 08:27:16 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hi Magnus,
>>
>> I see the motivation of moving these build files for better identification
>> of ownership.   Placing them under
>> `src/$MODULE/{share,$OS}/data` is one option.  Given that skara will
>> automatically determine appropriate mailing lists of a PR, it seems that
>> `make/modules/$MODULE/data` can be another alternative that skara can
>> include this pattern in the mailing list configuration??   I don't yet have
>> a strong preference while I don't consider everything under `make` must be
>> owned by the build team though.  Do you see one option is better than the
>> other?
>
> @mlchung If you don't have any strong preference, I implore you to accept
> this change. I **vastly** prefer to move the data out of `make`!
>
> This is not just about Skara tooling. When working with make files, autoconf
> and shell scripts, there is no fancy IDE support, so you are stuck with
> simple text editors and tools like `grep`. I've lost count on how many times
> I've had my grep searches blow up, since I happened to find e.g. a string in
> `tzdata` and get hundreds or more of hits. :-( And I do believe we will get a
> better code structure if the build team "owns" `make`;  or at least has a
> vested interest in what's in that directory. We still suffer a lot of the old
> "I don't know where to put this file, so I'll just put it in make cause
> nobody cares about it anyway" mentality, but I've been working for quite some
> time to make that list of misplaced files shorter and shorter.

Also, to clarify, for me there is a fundamental difference between
`src/$MODULE` and `make/modules/$MODULE`. The former is the home of files that
are part of the module, owned by the content team, and the `$MODULE` part is
essential to delineate this content. The latter is owned by the build team, and
is just a convenient way to organize the build system within the `make`
directory. So it's clearly a no-no to put anything but `.gmk` files in
`make/modules/$MODULE`.