Thanks for the feedback Will. It would be useful if you can provide a testcase and/or add comments to JDK-8266351 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8266351> on your experience.

regards,
Sean.

On 30/04/2021 17:54, Will Sargent wrote:
> KeyStore specification will be tightened up via another bug record

This would be super helpful, as one thing that confuses me is what the relationship is between a key entry and a key alias -- in particular, the existence alias doesn't seem to guarantee a valid entry that can be retrieved.

In JDK 11 it's possible to create a private key with a keystore using pkcs12.setKeyEntry() (see link below):

https://github.com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/blob/master/lib/src/test/java/com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/PrivateKeyStoreTest.java#L135 <https://github.com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/blob/master/lib/src/test/java/com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/PrivateKeyStoreTest.java#L135>

and then have a null pointer exception when retrieving the entry from the alias because the certificate chain is null (see commented out "testSystem" use case):

https://github.com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/blob/master/lib/src/test/java/com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/PrivateKeyStoreTest.java#L27 <https://github.com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/blob/master/lib/src/test/java/com/tersesystems/securitybuilder/PrivateKeyStoreTest.java#L27>

I can write this up into a formal bug if that helps.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 2:30 AM Sean Coffey <coff...@openjdk.java.net <mailto:coff...@openjdk.java.net>> wrote:

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 12:39:42 GMT, Sean Coffey <coff...@openjdk.org
    <mailto:coff...@openjdk.org>> wrote:

    >> Trivial enough change. Improved the exception thrown from
    JceKeyStore also.

    > Sean Coffey has updated the pull request with a new target base
    due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the
    unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request
    contains four additional commits since the last revision:

    <https://github.com/openjdk/jdk> into JDK-8236671-NPE

    record: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8266351
    <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8266351>

    <https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/3588>