On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 23:24:41 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Two comments:
>
>     1. Why not reuse the existing variable name (Ex: `t` in `Type t =
> (Type)obj`) as much as possible to avoid unnecessary renames?
>
>     2. I'm not sure if modifying argument name in a public API is a good
> idea. This leads to unnecessary javadoc changes.

1. I initially took the approach you suggested, but the general feedback from
previous PRs (on similar work in other areas of `java.base`) has been to use
more descriptive names for the pattern variables where possible. However, if
you feel strongly about it please let me know which ones you would like me to
change and we can discuss it further.

2. OK, I thought it might be an opportunity to add in some consistency for
parameter names for the `equals()` methods. But, point taken. I've reverted
these changes. Please see commit  9e9f9fb