Thanks for confirming.

Cheers,

Peter.

On 13/05/2021 10:59 pm, Sean Mullan wrote:

On 5/13/21 6:00 AM, Ron Pressler wrote:

On 13 May 2021, at 10:32, Peter Firmstone <peter.firmst...@zeus.net.au> wrote:

So it targets 17.

I don’t know. I think that’s still TBD, but perhaps others know more.

At this point, yes, we are planning to target the JEP to JDK 17.

It would be nice to have certainty about which release it will be removed from, for planning purposes.   Again it would seem that this isn't a consideration of OpenJDK.

It very much is, which is why we have the deprecation and removal policy. Please read the JEP carefully. In addition to deprecation and removal, this JEP also proposes an interim step of degradation prior to removal. Removal, as the JEP says, will only be done once it no longer poses a big compatibility threat. At the fastest pace possible removal is more than a year away, though it will likely be longer than that.

The JEP does have a section on this:

"In future JDK releases, we may degrade the Security Manager APIs so that they remain in place but have limited or no functionality. For example, we may revise AccessController::doPrivileged simply to run the given action, or revise System::getSecurityManager always to return null. This would allow libraries that support the Security Manager and were compiled against previous Java releases to continue to work without change or even recompilation. Once the compatibility risk has declined to an acceptable level, we expect to remove the APIs."

So, if the JEP is targeted to 17, then the Security Manager will be deprecated for removal but will still be fully functional and supported in 17.

*Disclaimer: The next part is forward thinking, and subject to change.*

Once we start degrading the APIs, the functionality of the Security Manager may not fully work as before, so in that sense you might consider it "removed". We don't yet have a definitive timeline for that, it may occur in the next release, or it may not, but it will probably occur within a few releases after the release it is targeted to.

--Sean

Is there an OpenJDK community project group that maintains older Java versions I can join?

Yes, that would be the Updates Project.

— Ron