Hello,

I have to agree with Peter here, we do remove a very valuable asset of the JVM
platform. It might not easy to be used and not the most popular technology, but
after all it was in the DNA of Java. In this JEP/Discussion there is not a
single hesitation  to remove it. Please tell me you tried to find maintainers?

This whole discussion about using only secure libraries really makes me wonder
if you know the realities of modern applications with hundreds of dependencies
and the state of those, like there is still no easy way to limit XXE in
upstream xerces. (Or Have you ever tried to set FSP on a Transformer?), limit
deserialisation, restrict url handlers, impersonate Users (local and remote
filesystem), run chroot child’s or pass credentials over named pipes. All
mechanisms which are easier to do in other programming environments. There is a
big hesitation to even offer those platform specific features.

I do hope the result of this discussion really is a set of new replacement
technologies which allow to use least priveledge methods from the operating
environments (be able to run as a different User token, drop permissions, use
chroot/jail, fsuid, capsetp,setgroups and other impersonation methods) as
thread scopes. Also facilities for multi-process solutions (named pipe servers,
shared memory) might help with doing proper low priveledged architectures in
the future (in addition to stuffing everything into rootless containers)

But more importantly we do need to get a handle on Defense in depth for
libraries. LFI and Remote connections is a big part of that, but not limited to
it.

Gruss
Bernd

--