Hi.

Before getting into alternatives and the vision for what would be possible
post-SecurityManager, it would help to explain what the use-case and
requirements are.

When we talk about untrusted code we usually mean code that you believe
might be malicious and intentionally try to break through any restrictions
you place on it and attack you by any means, including denial-of-service,
while trusted code is assumed to not be malicious.

From what you’ve written I gather that you only intend to run trusted
“plugins", but wish to restrict their operations so that they don’t break
some application invariants and accidentally interfere with its operation.

If that is the case, would a “shallow” sandbox, that restricts which APIs
are available to the plugin (e.g. only expose special APIs to interact
with files that go through filtering mechanisms) rather than restrict
low-level operations where they “bottom out” before being passed to the OS,
suffice (*not* the one in my article, which is just intended for inspiration,
and allows reflection without actually fully isolating it)?

Deep sandboxes, simple or stack-dependent, are useful for very “rich” code,
that is potentially very big and possibly contains arbitrary third-party
libraries, while shallow sandboxes are more suitable to limited plugins.

While a complex, stack-dependent, deep sandbox *could* be used for plugins,
permissions that don’t specify what is forbidden but what is allowed
effectively also severely limit the use of third-party libraries, that
for example, might want to do benign operations with their own files,
and so effectively only allow very limited plugins. The result is a costly
mechanism that is overkill for what it’s used for.

— Ron