Rick,

Out of curiosity, does Apache Derby have a need for an Authorization layer?

We have tooling to generate our policy files, which simplifies the process a lot, we also have highly scalable and performant SecurityManager and Policy implementations which are compatible with standard Java policy files.

This is available under an AL2.0 license.

I'm hoping that OpenJDK will create some hooks for permission checks, so that we can continue to provide an authorization layer for Java, following JEP 411.

I'll be using StackWalker to reproduce AccessController's stack walk.   We also have existing classes which wrap AccessControlContext, so we would use ThreadLocal's to preserve subject.

--
Regards,
Peter.