From the silence, I assume that there isn't any advice I can give Derby users. At this time the Security Manager is the only mechanism for protecting an application against these threats. Users should ignore the deprecation diagnostics and set -Djava.security.manager=allow.

On 3/24/22 2:27 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
The Apache Derby community is getting ready to vet a new release which can be used on Java 17. Before buttoning down the release, I wanted to check in on current best practices for defending enterprise applications against the threats which the Java Security Manager parries. There may be some work we could do to better prepare our users for a future without a Security Manager.

In particular, what are current best Java practices for protecting a multi-tenant server against abuse of the following security-sensitive operations:

o Reading and setting of system properties.

o Creation of class loaders.

o File access

o Network access

o De-registration of JDBC drivers