On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:10:42 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I searched about "and/or" and it is said that "or" covers "and". So,
>> "and/or" should just be "or".
>>
>> I am on the fence for requiring provider to generate default parameters
>> (using provider-specific or random values). Could there be scenarios where
>> users are required to supply parameters?
>> That aside, this javadoc is lastly updated by JDK-8243424. It seems that
>> JDK's EdDSA signature impl has some interesting usage of
>> AlgorithmParameterSpec which this javadoc has to cover/allow.
>
> RSASSA-PSS always requires a user-provided params.
>
> I think one thing we can guarantee is that the default/random values
> generated by the impl will never overwrite the user-provided ones, they will
> only be supplemented. Also, I think the real usage of this method is that the
> result -- after converting to a spec -- can be set on the verify side and the
> verification should succeed.
>
> I don't quite understand EdDSA. Looks like the params is not stored along
> with the signature in the algorithm identifier. I also haven't found
> different OIDs defined when prehash or context is used. How does the verifier
> know this kind of flavor settings?

Right, the user-supplied values takes precedence and provider-specific
default/random values should just be supplemental.

As for EdDSA, looks like the prehash and context are only in RFC 8032 and NOT
RFC 8410.  caller has to pass these settings/values to the other entity through
some other means since the getParameters() return null as there is no ASN.1
definition for the parameters. Looks like these values are packaged into a
parameter spec and passed into the underlying EdDSA signature implementation in
order to fit into existing API without adding new algorithm specific APIs.