On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:15:35 GMT, Ahmed Muhsin <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This change will move the instantiation of BadPaddingException into the
> branch of the if statement where it is thrown. This will decrease the
> overhead of calling `unpadV15` and `unpadOAEP`.  Please see the associated
> work item for past discussions regarding this change.
>
> The build and tier1 tests pass locally on mac-aarch64.

Drive-by comment: If the exception creation is the problem, maybe we should
turn it stackless (overriding the `fillInStackTrace` in the subclass of
`BadPaddingException`), assuming this exception does not leak out of the method
to the users and/or users do not require the stack trace. This would not put us
into security-related discussion whether moving the exception on conditional
path improves the fidelity of timing.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12732#issuecomment-1484745045