On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:27:06 GMT, Sean Mullan <mul...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I'm not sure if there is a clear reason to change the default value from 10
>> to 8.  I'm fine if you want to keep to use value 10 for less compatibility
>> issues. Otherwise, I have no more comment.  Thanks!
>>
>>> Yes, I can place the comments in the code blocks for the server-side
>>> setting and client-side setting, respectively. @XueleiFan Any feedback
>>> before I'm making this comment change? I will also update the release note
>>> accordingly. Thanks!
>
> The choice of 8 for the client is mostly based on different processing
> requirements and use cases for TLS client vs server certificate chains. If we
> see evidence that 8 is too low, we can always consider adjusting it.

I'm not sure if the number 8 or 10 really make a good difference in practice.
No matter 8 or 10,  if customers need lower value, they can always consider
adjusting it.  My concern is mainly about compatibility issues.  If you want to
keep the behavior changes, as there is potential compatibility issue, please
feel free to describe the behavior change in release note and CSR if you would
like.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15163#discussion_r1385958137