This semi-concerns me in the sense that we could come up with a convention
appropriate for the Java ecosystem, like publishing in a Maven repository
only to have the perfect be the enemy of the good because we are looking
for a one-size-fits-all solution. The fact that we use a Maven  repository
instead of something else tells me we should be looking for a best-fit
solution per technology stack.

Gary