> On Sun, 14 May 2000 07:40:48 -0600, Shaun Hadfield wrote:

<snip>

> >So...what I'm looking for is a BIG switchstation, where I plug
> >everything into, and depending on where the swtich is thrown, route it
> >there.  Now I know that there are AB swithces for printers, but what I'm
> >looking for entails the whole gaggle of peripheral devices....
> >
> >Thanks for any help....
> >

> HI Shaun,
>       At work I have limited desk space and 2 pcs.  I use a device
> called a KVM switch, which allows me to use the same monitor, keyboard
> and mouse with both PCs.   If this is what your looking for, I bought
> one at Compusa (they're also available all over the web).  They're not
> real cheap, though.
>
> Bill Cooper
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

They're also called "CPU switches" at a lot of retailers.  Cost tends
to go from about $100 to around $250 for four computers.

Be aware that the switches need to pass through video and a few of
them do a pretty poor job on the high-resolution screens (1600x1200).
 There's a significant degradation of signal strength and the image
will appear very dim.

I ended up getting the Belkin OmniView SE 4-port switch after trying
out other switches.  It goes for $135 plus shipping at
http://www.hardwarestreet.com

I should add that I had bought a slightly less expensive CPU switch
at hardwarestreet.  It worked poorly for high-resolution, and the
vendor was extraordinarily decent about returns.  Very fast about
pickup and crediting, and they paid return shipping.  Prices are
quite competitive on most things except Pentium chips.

Oh, one other thing:  Some CPU switches that are coming out now have
USB interfaces for keyboard & mouse.  Be sure to get what you really
need!