On 27 Nov 2000, 13:27, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there a search engine that will allow me to input
> an e-mail user name (up to the "@" symbol) and tell
> me if and under what domain names that user name is
> catalogued?
>
> The problem that I have is that I remember the e-mail
> user name of a person, but I do not remember the
> domain name (... or real name of the person!).
>
> Example:  jdoe@???????.???
>
> Thanks for all your help.

I should think this is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but you
can use any search engine that allows quotations and enter your partial
address as a quotation, i.e.:

"ashandrr@"

~~

Another suggestion...try a reverse email lookup engine, such as this
one at infospace:

http://www.infospace.com/info/redirs_all.htm?pgtarg=reve

Scroll down to the Reverse Email section and then just enter the
username or userID into the search box.

Again, that is not a perfect solution, but worth a shot.

~~

If you have prior knowledge that your friend was a frequent poster to
USENET newsgroups, then make a search for his/her username at deja.com:

http://x35.deja.com/usenet

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]