On 23 Jan 2001, 17:09, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With the US presidential contest now history, I would like to locate any
> scholarly research into the possibility of "none of the above" as an
> option in elections of this or compareable gravity.
>
> My hunch on this, is that your likely sources will include some of
> the major US universities, and at least one political "think tank".

I don't believe we would find many academic research studies on this
topic, but there are plenty of editorials written around the country
from time to time.  Here is an example:

http://www.spartandaily.org/a134ramo.htm

The first reference in that editorial mentions a Richard Pryor movie,
called Brewster's Million.  You might want to rent that video at your
local store.  I think the movie illustrates that the concept is mostly
a joke in American society despite Alan Shugart's real attempt that the
article addresses.

Here is another editorial in the same vein:

http://chicagotribune.com/version1/article/0,1575,SAV-9906010125,00.html

Here is a Letter to the Editor, editorial:

http://www.mndaily.com/daily/2000/06/26/editorial_opinions/lo0626/

~~~

The academic research you actually seek, Bob, is that of "Voter
Apathy."  I think we could find much on that subject.  Here is one
example:

http://WWW.brook.edu/pub/review/harwfa96.htm

Load your favorite search engine, Bob, and key "voter apathy."  I think
you will find several good sites to enlighten you.

The one thing I think you will come away with, is that if a person is
apathetic about voting, then a ballot entry of "None of the Above"
probably won't stir them to the polls.

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]