---- Original Message -----
From: "Wanda Round" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 8:19 AM
Subject: [SaF] [SAF] help verifying story

> I am attempting to confirm or find untruthful a story that American stray cats were
>rounded up and shipped to Europe in 1948
(specifically France) to catch rodents and thereby protect the food supply.
Supposedly it was the "Cats for Europe Campaign".

> So far...I've been resoundingly unsuccessful.  Got any suggestions?

I can't find any mention of anything you listed as a search reference.
I searched general web sites, hoax sites, urban legend sites and usenet groups and
found no information that confirmed or denied
such a story.That would suggest to me that the story is false.
However, I am also interested in the source of your story. Where did you learn about
the "Cats for Europe Campaign"?
Knowing your source may provide an insight needed to conduct a more detailed search.

Ben Cooper
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.site-of-the-day.org/
"Frisbeterian = Someone who believes that when you die, your soul goes up on
 the roof and you can't get it down."