"Seeker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 11 Mar 2001, 17:41 Raymond  Arsenault, Ph.D. wrote:
>
> > Someone is sending me kidding mail. The purported identity is Mellow Yellow
> > and the email service is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > I have copied the gibberish from Eudora. Is there anyway of using this to
> > ascertain who the REAL sender is? Or where? Thanks, Ray
>
> This software claims to do just that:
>
> http://www.neoworx.com/products/neotrace/default.asp
>
> NeoTrace Professional
> Graphical Trace Route Program
>
> NeoTrace Pro delivers a powerful tool for
> checking information on Internet site. You can
> trace any computer on the internet simply by
> entering an email, IP address or URL. The
> display shows you the route between you and
> the remote site including all intermediate
> nodes and their registrant information

This won't work if a Type-I or Type-II anonymous remailer has been
used.  Remailers only work in one direction.

This is the same reason why one can't "reply" to an anonymous e-mail.

Emily

PGP 5.x key available on public keyservers
PGP Key ID:  0xBD5A33C8
PGP Fingerprint:  75D8 FEE6 4D0D 11EA 69E5  4FE6 4DEA 19F9 BD5A 33C8