On 30 May 2001, at 20:51, Leslie S Gottlieb wrote:

> If you go to www.testingfaqs.org you will find listings of various
> types of testing software. I need a similar listing for version
> control software. Version control software is used by software
> developers (programmers) to control versions of software under
> development (like Windows 95, Windows 98 etc..) Two main vendors are
> PVCS and Source Safe (Microsoft). I need to find a listing that can
> tell me others (like the software lists @ testingfaqs.org).

Using shareware site onsite searches and the keywords "version control"
will gain you a pretty good listing.  Softcrawler can be used to hit
several shareware sites at once:

http://www.data-wizard.de/SoftCrawler/index.php3

I also used Google for this purpose and the first results page would
provide you several sources for VC software:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=version+control

Click to page two on those Google results and we find a freeware VC
product:

FreeVCS:

http://www.thensle.de/index.htm

Of course, the big shareware products seem to be CVS, Reliable and QVCS:

http://cvshome.org/

http://www.relisoft.com/

http://www.qumasoft.com/

~~~

As to your original question, the following page might give you the
answer you seek...sort of:

Simple Internet Version Control Protocol

http://www.ots.utexas.edu/sivc/

This FAQ of sorts gives a listing of products conforming to this SIVC.

~~~

Lastly, I would suggest you drop by this About.com page:

"Version Control Systems"

http://internet.about.com/industry/internet/library/weekly/2000/
aa050200a.htm

Note: The above URL is actually one continuous line and should be
entered into your browser's address box as one line.

Ah...wait...I found another freeware at Acacia Consulting Services:

VCSLite

http://www.acaciacons.com.au/

http://www.acaciacons.com.au/vcslite/vcslite.htm

Alan