Chris Withers wrote:

Is there any way to switch users, where the users are authenticated by basic auth, when doing a selenium test run?

Interesting question!  Unfortunately, the answer is no, AFAIK.

Certainly, Selenium has no support for authentication other than what the browser itself provides. Basically, you need the browser to discard it's cached credentials for the site; and I don't think there *is* a way to do that. Not a cross-browser, standards-compliant, way at least: perhaps someone know some browser-specific tricks?

One idea: a while back, when trying to facilitate *manual* testing of an authenticated web-app, I implemented switchable authentication "schemes". One scheme used Basic-Auth, another used SSL Client Certs. Then, to make testing easier, we had a scheme that just extracted a username from request-parameters. Could you do something similar for your app, ie. deploy it in such a way that it "authenticates" using a request-param, or a cookie? If so, switching users would be straightfoward.

--
cheers, MikeW                            http://www.dogbiscuit.org/mdub/