Hi Russ.

With the number of browsers needed to be supported, I can't imagine that
you'll get anything like a robust implementation using setTimeout.

Well, that's how it works now: setTimeout() is the basis of Selenium's execution-loop. It's not without challenges, but it's the best option we (currently) have.

I do wonder, however, why a javascript array of (say) UserTestObjects could
not be "read" just the same as an HTML table.  Am I missing something?

No, but yes. Currently Selenium "Command" objects are constructed based on the test-table HTML, but as you say, they could conceivably be hand-coded in JavaScript, or generated from a different source. What you might have missed is the desire to use native JavaScript features for flow-control (conditionals, loops, etc) ... hand-crafting the command objects still doesn't make this possible. So, I'm not sure what benefit that would provide over the "interpreted HTML" approach.

--
cheers, Mike