On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Daniel Jurgens <dani...@mellanox.com> wrote:
> On 7/1/2016 1:59 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>>> Each subnet can have a different partition configuration and a node can be
>>> on multiple subnets.  By specifying the subnet prefix along with the pkey
>>> value the user has flexibility to have different policy for different
>>> subnets, instead of a global PKey space that would require coordinating the
>>> partition configuration across all subnets.
>> Perhaps a better explanation of partitions and subnets are in order,
>> especially for those of like me who are new to IB.
>>

> A subnet is a set of ports managed by a common subnet manager, which sets up
> the partition configuration.

So there can be multiple partitions inside a subnet and not multiple
subnets inside a partition?

> A partition is a virtual fabric, similar to an VLAN.

Yeah, I've read that in multiple places and I think that is what I
find confusing as it doesn't seem to mesh with my understanding of
what you are intending.

> If there are multiple IB ports each could be connected to a different subnet.

Ports are just end points, I get that.  That's important, but it isn't
helping me understand the relationship between subnets and partitions,
that is where I'm struggling at the moment.

> By including the subnet prefix in the label the subnets can use the same PKey
> values and policy can restrict access appropriately.

This doesn't make any sense to me right now.

> Without that mechanism if one of the subnets had a partition with PKey 1 the
> other partition couldn't reuse that PKey if a different security policy is
> desired for that subnet.

<blank stare>

--
paul moore