On Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007, cnit wrote:
> > Well, that is not the case for the current parser cache, neither in MW
> > nor in SMW. But if course it could be achieved with some server-side
> > cronjobs.
>
> Ah, I didn't knew about MW cronjobs. That sounds nice. Will try to
> find out some examples. Maybe you're right that such functionality
> shouldn't belong to main application itself..

What I meant was: a simple cron-job can touch LocalSettings.php regularly to
purge the MW cache globally. Not much interaction with MW needed for that.

> > Which is due to the lack of caching ...
>
> Well, yes. Of course if someone wants to slow down the site, he could
> use many different queries. But, it can be traced with apache logs and
> banned by IP..
>
> > My strong hope is that none such query is possible. If security issues
> > with queries should exist, I would like to find them rather sooner than
> > later.
>
> I hope that, too.
>
> > I expected that it would be possible to limit Special page access based
> > on some MW mechanism already. Is there no way of configuring MediaWiki
> > this way?
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Special_page#Restricted_special_pages
> e.g.
> includes/SpecialBlockip.php
> contains the following check:
>
>         # Permission check
>         if( !$wgUser->isAllowed( 'block' ) ) {
>                 $wgOut->permissionRequired( 'block' );
>                 return;
>         }
>
> BUT, I've remebered that "further results" links are Special:Ask with
> query parameters. In such case, "further results" would be unavailable
> to anonymous users, which is sad. Only if every ask query had it's own
> ID, which would be passed to "further results" page instead of query
> itself... Maybe I am asking too much and IP ban (see above) is enough.

I guess a strong solution for that will still take some time. One could of
course store inline queries in some table, use IDs for each, and permit
anyone to use ask with such an (internal) ID only, whereas making custom
queries would require further permissions. But this is some more code, and I
am not entirely convinced of that design.

Did you experience problems with anonymous users that access Special:Ask? On
ontoworld it seems that a significant amount of Special:Ask requests really
come from "further results" links.

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe