On Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2007, Sergey Chernyshev wrote:
<snip>
> > In fact we have such a site, but it runs on a rather unstable hardware
> > (we have a buggy RAID controller or driver :-(). It is our test server at
> > test.ontoworld.org, which also was used for other experiments and is not
> > in
> > perfect shape right now (and querying was disabled in order to not impair
> > other experiments). We might set up another more recent Wikipedia copy
> > sometime in some future.
>
> Great, I'll definitely take a look. What were your main discoveries with
> English WP and SMW? How many Semantic Templates did you make? I'd say that
> I'm mostly interested in volume and performance on relatively simple
> queries since this is what most of large projects would need, although
> complex queries are also interesting.

Results of a small evaluation on this site are reported in [1]. The problem is
that detailed results can change quickly with software versions (SMW changes
of course, but MySQL also does). So things should be taken with a grain of
salt.

> It would be quite interesting to see latest WP and latest SMW to understand
> biggest pain-points.

Biggest pain IMHO is unpredictability of query times. It turns out that most
queries are rather fast even on big sites, while some are slow without
apparent reasons. If we could just limit SQL-side query execution and report
timeout errors if needed, things would be much simpler. But I do not know how
to achieve that.

Markus

[1] http://korrekt.org/index.php/Semantic_Wikipedia_%28JWS2007%29

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe