Everyone:

Can an SMW custom data type access any variable holding a code for the
language of the wiki that SMW is running in? I want my custom data type
to output tooltip dates in the language of the wiki. Thus far I can get
it to recognize an annotated Julian or Gregorian date by remembering
which language-specific month-name array it found the month in. But if I
annotate a date in an ancient language, and want the output in the
Julian or Gregorian date, it defaults to English.

I thought I could pass the variable $wgLanguageCode from
LocalSettings.php to my function to retrieve a month name. But it always
defaulted to English. And that's inappropriate if the language of the
wiki is /not/ English.

What I'd like to do is capture the language code when I parse an input
value and store it in a cache. Can I do that?

What is the scope of $wgLanguageCode? Perhaps a simple scope-resolution
operation will suffice?

Terry A. Hurlbut