On Donnerstag, 13. März 2008, Bruce Bartlett wrote:
> I concur. I believe it is a serious mistake not to allow editing of the
> pages on semantic-mediawiki.org. Already the current documentation is
> far less useful than the previous (editable) version. It might have been
> a mess, but at least you could scroll through the discussion boards and
> pick up loads of useful tips, all in one place. To repeat: I believe it
> is absolutely crucial that the discussion sections of
> semantic-mediawiki.org are editable by all.

I agree that we really need commenting functionality, and we are happy about
any hints on how to provide that most easily (anyone tried namespace-based
editing permissions?). At some time we will provide a form-based commenting
feature that is more blog-like (something like a "semantic comments"
extensions to SMW).

We are also very happy about volunteers who wish to contribute as
documentation editors -- just send me an email if you wish to join the
editing team (including creation and maintenance of other language editions
of the documentation).

We currently feel that we need to organise the editing process slightly more
than on ontoworld.org, in order to reduce the amount of time we need to
invest to keep the homepage tidy, and in order to simplify the ongoing
translation and updating works.

Apologies for the temporal inconvenience. Maybe we can open the talk pages in
an easy way, especially since we do not need high security.

Regards

Markus

> [...]
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Sergey Chernyshev
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >     I think wiki tools must use wiki-way.
> >
> >     Can't give you a link until I can edit. The change was minor and
> >     not 100% necessary so site will survive, but not being able to do
> >     it myself doesn't feel good in wiki world.
> >
> >              Sergey
> >

> >     On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM, S Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >         Sergey Chernyshev wrote:
> >         > I just tried to fix a link on semantic-mediawiki.org
> >
> >         <http://semantic-mediawiki.org>
> >
> >         Thanks, what link?
> >
> >         > <http://semantic-mediawiki.org> and noticed that I can't
> >
> >         register there.
> >
> >         > Is there any particular reason why the site is closed for
> >         > public contributions?
> >
> >         In thread "Re: SMW documentation ..." back in December Markus
> >         Krötzsch
> >         stated:
> >
> >         - - - - -
> >         This was done as part of our start-up phase, so as to not make
> >         it into
> >         another (confusing) testing site before even having a basic
> >         structure.
> >         We still wonder whether or not we should open it for editing
> > (pro: people could contribute, its wiki-style; contra: it could again
> > develop
> >         into a ontoworldish collection of semi-official docus, demo
> >         pages, and
> >         tests of (partly nonexistent) features that we would have to
> >         watch all
> >         day). I normally don't expect the documentation and homepage
> >         of an open
> >         source tool to be written by all users, but then there is the
> >         wiki-way
> >         ... hard question.
> >         - - - - -
> >
> >         For now you can comment and write text on the talk pages of
> >         the help
> >         docs on ontoworld.org <http://ontoworld.org>, or e-mail
> >         suggestions here.  Or you can send them
> >         to me privately, or you can file bugs.
> >
> >         My ideal situation would be documentation continues to have
> >         limited
> >         editors but users could comment on it *on* the page, like
> >         PHP's "User
> >         Contributed Notes" (e.g.
> >         http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.reset.php
> >         ) or Adobe's LiveDocs.  I don't know if there's a way to do
> >         that in
> >         MediaWiki.
> >
> >         MediaWiki moves user comments to Talk pages which are hard to
> >         monitor,
> >         especially when they're 95% disorganized historical comments.
> >          And I
> >         don't know how to allow anyone to edit the
> >         semantic-mediawiki.org <http://semantic-mediawiki.org> Talk
> >         pages but continue to restrict the other namespaces.  Hence if
> >         you want
> >         to comment in wiki text you have to do it on on ontoworld.org

Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe
phone +49 (0)721 608 7362          fax +49 (0)721 608 5998
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          www  http://korrekt.org