[Resending similar mail after bounce, apologies for those who got duplicates.
This is a follow-up to some prior discussion on installation problems with
the Halo extension.]

On Dienstag, 3. Juni 2008, Markus Nitsche wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>

> the file you are probably looking for is
> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/halo-extension/smw%2B-1.1.zip?modtime=121
>0 945439&big_mirror=0> smw+-1.1.zip, which contains all the files you need
> for installing the halo extension on top of an existing SMW installation.
> Unfortunately, there are no installation instructions yet for the Halo
> Extensions only. There are only instructions for an entire installation
> from scratch (like the one you mentioned), so you have to extract the
> information from there (especially concerning LocalSettings).

Given these issues, I think the use of the name "SMW+" requires some
clarification here. It gives the impression that the project is especially
closely related to SMW, and I understand that it may be surprising for users
to find incompatibilities or update problems then. To clarify: no members of
the SMW Project are currently involved in/affiliated with the Halo Project or
with the commercial activities around "SMW+". We also have had no influence
on this choice of name.

The SMW Project would of course welcome Halo to stay available as an SMW
extension. Halo's current mode of distribution, however, is more that of a
fork than that of an extension. Looking at Halo related webpages, one gets
the impression that the relationship to the SMW Project is rather hidden
there already (see e.g. [1][2]). So SMW+ users have little chance of getting
in touch with the SMW community, and there is the very real danger of a fork
and community split. I think it is fair to warn our users of the possibility
of this fork, since switching to Halo then may have consequences for future
software upgrades (you may end up being in either the SMW or in the Halo
branch). Of course SMW has no desire for that to happen, and it may be
possible to improve cooperation between the projects.

By the way, looking at the SMW+ pages now, I also acknowledge that we may need
a PR manager to create fancy things like that flyer [3] for SMW too!
Volunteers can send me an email.

-- Markus

[1] http://shop.ontoprise.com/index.php/Wiki-Download.html
[2] http://ontoprise.de/index.php?id=241