On Montag, 7. Juli 2008, Jeff Thompson wrote:
> Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> > Also, SMW can *export* your queries now: click on the "RDF feed" link on
> > a concept page to see the machine-readable version of the query. The OWL
> > format that we use for export can nicely capture many SMW queries, and
> > OWL tools can actually read these descriptions and reuse them externally.
> > So SMW now cannot just export your wiki data, but also conceptual
> > information about your topic.
>
> The SMW query is:
> [[Category:Event]] [[Start date::> Jan 1 2008]] [[Start date::< Dec 31
> 2008]]
>
> Here is the OWL class description of the query.  I don't see how it limits
> the range of dates.  Does OWL have support for class restrictions on
> greater than/less than on literals?

No, this is not supported by OWL. Accordingly, the export uses subClassOf in
such cases (the exported OWL description is a superclass of the SWM concept).
If the OWL translation can be done in an exact way, the SMW concept is
defined to be equivalent in the export.

In the OWL working group, we are currently considering the inclusion of data
ranges into OWL 2. The current proposal is to allow the use of certain
XML-Schema datatype facets to create sub-datatypes. This would also allow for
> and < on numbers. There is not much hope to achieve something similar for
strings (SMW also can order by strings), since the order of strings depends
on language settings and collation preferences that are not expressible in
XML Schema. Also it remains to be seen which datatypes OWL 2 will eventually
endorse.

Regards,

Markus

--