Hi,

On 2010-08-17 02:16, Yaron Koren wrote:
> Sanyam (who is cc'ed) has been working hard on his Google Summer of Code
> project, which has been about converting SMW and various of its
> extensions to use the jQuery Javascript library, and to generally use
> more Javascript. The project is basically done now, and you'll be
> hearing a lot more about it later, including from Sanyam.

Great news, thanks! :)

> For now, I
> just wanted to ask one question - I'm planning to start checking in a
> lot of Sanyam's code to SVN soon, and there's one change to Semantic
> MediaWiki itself that I wanted to ask about. Sanyam added autocompletion
> for the "additional data/printouts" textarea, which you can see here if
> you start typing:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Special:Ask
>
> I just wanted to know if anyone thinks this autocompletion is a bad
> idea, or has any comments/criticisms about the specific look-and-feel of it.

It looks very useful, and it will make figuring out a query much much
easier. I often found myself switching between an example page's Browse
properties page and Special:Ask, and copy- and pasting the property
names into the 'additional data to display' field. That is no longer
necessary with this functionality - big improvement for the user!

I see a potential problem with Wikis that have a very large amount of
properties - Special:Ask would then load slowly, because all those
property names are in the page. Would it be possible to choose, like in
SF, between 'autocompletion' and 'remote autocompletion'? Also, the
dropdown does not have its own scrollbar, which looks a bit weird when
there are hundreds of properties in it - but it's not really a problem,
and I don't know if it would actually be better if the dropdown had a
scrollbar.

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4