What a very interesting response.  Let me see if I have this straight:  You
can't think of any good reason why someone would want to do something, and
when someone says they want to, your reaction is to attack their choice of
organizing their data?  I think the problem may be that you are still
thinking wiki, whereas I'm using MediaWiki as a platform for developing a
data management system.

So, what is the actual place where I'm trying to do this?  I created a Form
to help edit Category pages.  On the form, I put a dropdown which lists all
of the Structured Documents defined in the system.  If the user selects a
structured document, then the template looks up everything it needs to know
from the Structured Document definition page.  Likewise, there is a dropdown
that lists all of the forms in the system, so you can select the form to use
to edit pages in that category (if you didn't select a structured
document).  The purpose of all of this is to make it easier for
non-technical users to define/edit categories.

But the query for forms returns everything looking like:
[[:Form:xyz|Form:xyz]], which means that is what shows up in the dropdown.
What SHOULD show up in the dropdown is "xyz", as that is all the user needs
to see.

But in general, I can think of a million reasons why you would need to
populate a dropdown with something other than raw page names.

1. A list of users, displayed as Last Name, First
2. A list of open defects, showing defect ID number followed by the summary
3. All open/active User Stories, listing the user story text
4. A list of teams, taken from their team pages

Bottom-line:  There is a very real need to do this kind of thing.

Which means that being "out of luck" means that Semantic MediaWiki is not
really ready for prime-time.  Is that really the message you want to send to
the world?