On 26/01/2011 16:59, don undeen wrote:
> hey all,
> I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this:
>

> in some of my templates, I've got html tags; some for layout, like
> <pre>
> and
>
> and others for functionality, like
>
> <headertabs/>
>
> however, when I try to load a page with that templte, in place of the
> pre tag and its contents, I see something like:
>
> UNIQ3c4a730b79440c45-pre-00000000-QINU

MediaWiki handles things like <pre> by /stripping/ them from the input
before parsing, and inserting them back later on. The strange strings
you see are markers that MediaWiki creates to remember where to
re-insert each of the stripped chunks.

Seeing these markers indicates that something went wrong during parsing,
or that the text you see is not MediaWiki's final output of the parser
but something in between. One case where this happens is when you use
text with <pre> or <nowiki> in the input of SMW properties: SMW is
invoked /during/ parsing, and hence gets the UNIQ... markers as input
instead of the original text. So it will wrongly store them as the
values in this case (there is a bug on this).

I think there was also another case where this could happen in
combination with SMW and some version of MediaWiki, but I thought that
this had been fixed in recent versions of MW (there was a bug but I do
not find it right now). Normal template inclusion should hardly lead to
this kind of problem if the MW version you are using is a stable
release. Debugging steps that you can try:

(1) Touch LocalSettings.php (null edit, i.e. save without changes) to
purge the caches, so that all pages will be reparsed. Check if the
problem goes away (permanently, not just on the first page load).

(2) De-activate SMW and its extensions and check (again loading the page
more than once) if the problem is gone.

If (1) fails and (2) works, then we need to consider this an SMW-related
problem. Otherwise, it should be discussed on the MW list (or filed as a
bug for MW).

Regards,

Markus