On 14/02/2011 18:55, Yaron Koren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These are interesting links, with some useful tips - I'll definitely try
> to respond to patches soon after they're sent, instead of (as sometimes
> happens) a few weeks later.

Yes, this one aspect of answering quickly may have a huge impact on the
success of a project. In particular, it may determine whether or not a
potential contributor decides to stick with the project or not. I think
we are not too bad here (thanks also to the many people contributing to
this list!), but there is always room for improvement.

> The roadmap stuff is interesting, too. What's there isn't completely
> relevant to SMW, since that guy is coming from the perspective of
> projects like GIMP and Inkscape - basically clones of existing software,
> where the set of needed features is (fairly well) agreed on ahead of
> time, so the roadmap can include dates and start to resemble a future
> release schedule. In our case, we're in uncharted territory - no one can
> say for sure which features will be useful and which won't, or what the
> best solution is to a given problem. Our roadmap is more like a "to-do
> list", which I think is the right way to go for us.

I agree. Roadmaps for smaller projects like SMW are always somewhat
harder to maintain.

> Having a set of independent projects for people to work on could be
> useful. It might make sense to just do that as part of the existing
> roadmap page - we could have asterisks next to tasks that could be done
> as independent projects. Fixing the security leak in the 'ploticus'
> format, for instance, is something a new developer could do (assuming it
> can be done at all). And there are a bunch of smaller tasks that I (and
> others) haven't even put on the roadmap page, since it seemed to be more
> about providing a high-level overview than creating a task list. But
> having a single page seems to make more sense than having two pages with
> some overlapping contents.

Not sure if the "big" goals in the roadmap are compatible with the
smaller kind of starter's project. Having both on the same page might be
a good start, but I can imagine that the content and format of a
"project suggestions" list is quite different from the roadmap (project
suggestions need more details, starting points, hints). But having
anything at all would be useful to start with.

- Markus