[Making this into a new thread]

Hi Krzysztof,

I was already wondering when I would hear from Wikia ...

As you have noticed, running SMW and extensions on large sites (large in
terms of content, or in terms of users) has special requirements.
Typically, we suggest to use more conservative settings for querying, so
that long and difficult queries do not occur. Similarly, some SMW
extensions have not been developed for large sites, and can be
problematic in their own right. But your users obviously want to keep
the features that they already have, so we need to find better ways of
addressing your problem.

But first we need to separate concerns a little bit. You mention the
following distinct problems:

(1) Too many DB writes (about 60% in total)

(2) Too many slow queries (about 90% from SMW)

Moreover, your problem is not caused by SMW alone but by a number of
SMW-related extensions. So there will be multiple issues that need
addressing to fix this, and maybe even in multiple extensions.

Let us first see how big the impact of the extensions you mention could
be. Semantic Forms mainly leads to some additional reads (apparently no
problem for you); the total number could possibly be reduced. It may
also have some effect on query activity if certain autocompletion
features are used. But otherwise I think it is unlikely to be the root
of the problem. Semantic Drilldown might be more of a problem regarding
complex queries. But it uses its own SQL queries, so it should be
possible to find out how much of (2) comes from this extension. Semantic
Drilldown should not contribute to (1).

Are there any other extensions that use SMW on your site?

Regarding SMW, I have some concrete ideas on what could be done for (1)
and (2) but this will need more careful consideration first. I am
grateful if you can help to track down the cause of the problem, but I
am afraid that the changes in SMW core will still need to be done or at
least reviewed carefully by myself -- which makes me kind of a
bottleneck for the SMW part of your problem. I need to think about the
required work a little further before I can promise anything.

Regards,

Markus