On 28/08/11 22:55, Yaron Koren wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The "SMWAskAPI" extension adds an action to the MediaWiki API, "ask",
> that lets you call SMW queries via api.php:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SMWAskAPI
>
> I didn't think such a thing was necessary, since the Special:Ask page
> basically functions as an API already, if you use the query formats
> "csv", "json" etc. But I was convinced recently that this is in fact an
> important feature, for two main reasons: the API makes it easier to
> create queries, using the "...fm" formats, like "jsonfm"; and various
> libraries for running MediaWiki "bots" are configured for calling
> api.php specifically.
>
> Any thoughts, then, on adding this code directly into Semantic
> MediaWiki? I know there's an overall goal to try to make SMW as small as
> possible, but this extension's code is pretty small - here's the main
> body of code:
>
> http://smwaskapi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smwaskapi/trunk/SMWAskAPI/api/SMWAsk_API.php?revision=2&view=markup
> <http://smwaskapi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smwaskapi/trunk/SMWAskAPI/api/SMWAsk_API.php?revision=2&view=markup>
>
> ..and its function certainly seems to fit in directly with SMW's core
> functionality.

Agreed. The concern of code size is not so severe if the code is very
modular. Another concern is maintenance: if it is in core, somebody
needs to take the responsibility for maintaining it to fix bugs and to
keep it compatible with MW changes in the future. This is more likely if
the code is clean, well-documented, and short (so as to be easily
maintained by new people in case the current maintainer cannot continue
the work).

If we can reasonably assume this, then we can certainly add it to core.

Markus