> I can't comment in detail, but I think that having the ability to
> query specific SPARQL endpoints and map the results to property values
> would be a killer feature.

> There is so much data on the semantic web, being able to navigate it
> in my wiki and being able to augment my wiki's content with it would
> be fantastic.

At a minimum, we're currently working on updating the SparqlExtension to
function with SMW 1.6.  With this extension we already allow querying external
endpoints (we need to update the documentation), and it's possible with it to
map results to property values as you mention.  As a caveat, we've tested this
with Joseki and Sesame, although not yet with 4Store and Virtuoso.

Markus brings up a lot of good points, and below are a few responses to these,
based on our experience with the SparqlExtension:

> * some mechanism to deal with slow and dead SPARQL services to ensure
> that they do not delay page display; maybe some asynchronous result

We haven't had a problem with dead SPARQL endpoints.  For example, when the CIA
World Factbook has been down, no data gets returned, and the page loads
quickly.  Slow services are another issue though, and we haven't tackled it
yet, and asynchronous result loading is a great idea.  To help things out, we
currently use a Squid server to cache both incoming and outgoing query results,
and we have code that clears the query results in the cache whenever the page
containing those queries is purged.

> * some mechanism to configure available SPARQL services to avoid people
> having to enter the full URL when sending a query (this is also a
> possible security issue);

As for security, is the main concern about the update URL?  I assume that the
query URL should be ok to be public knowledge.

For the rest of Markus' points (SMW data items, #ask parsers, existing query
printers, etc.) the bottom line is that we haven't set up the SparqlExtension
to be tightly integrated with the SMW code yet, and this is an area for
improvement.

> Alternatively, one can of course
> simply connect SMW to an RDF store and let this store provide the SPARQL
> endpoint. This seems more viable but then SPARQL is not a standard
> functionality of SMW.

Is the main concern about having something that just works out of the box with
minimal installation hassle?  Could there be an option for a kind of "expert
functionality" in the interim where you can rely on the functionality of the
RDF store while the rest of the features mentioned are being implemented?

Regards,

Chris