On 08/11/11 09:53, Dan Bolser wrote:
> I'd suggest building on (complying with) existing https authentication.

I also don't see another good solution. In any case, the mechanism that
is used for restricting wiki read access must be the basis of this
effort. If MW is used to set read-restrictions, then MW must be extended
to allow some form of service authentication. If Apache is used to
provide read restrictions, then Apache mechanisms should be leveraged.
Companies with real infrastructures could use VPN to open resources to
internal readers only.

SMW does not really interfere with access control to wiki content (even
if the content is an RSS feed). The problem is also in the client: RSS
readers have no good mechanism for authentication and cannot provide
credentials to a service. Something like VPN might be better to secure
such services properly.

Markus