Dear all,

I am happy to announce (with some delay ;-) the recent release of "Open
Advice" [1], a free book about free software. The book is a collection
of 42 short essays by experienced contributors of Free Software
projects, each inspired by the question "What would I have wished to
know when I started?" The result is a compilation of many interesting
insights on a wide range of topics (covering everything from code
development, project management, and mentoring to community building,
business exploitation, and legal aspects). Many chapters are actually
interesting beyond Open Source or even software development.

For more information and free download, see the book's web site [1].
Paper copies are also available at a very reasonable price [2]. The
website further offers a mailing list for discussions, ebook versions,
and a bugtracker for reporting errata :-).

The project has largely been driven by Lydia Pintscher, who you will
also know from this list. I have had the pleasure to contribute a little
chapter as well, but the strength of the book really is not in any
single contribution (all of which are quite short), but in the plurality
of perspectives and experiences that have been brought together.

Cheers,

Markus

[1] http://open-advice.org/
[2] http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/open-advice/18865584