On 30 March 2012 17:36, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Both Memcache and APC can run in parallel so we might also consider using
>> both
>
> Installing APC gives you a performance boost, even if the app does not
> really do effort to take care of the cache.

Agreed. Installing APC is something that we as developers cannot do on
users behalf.

> The main questions for this project are probably not how to cache stuff (as
> MediaWiki already provides the facilities you need), but rather what to
> cache, when to cache it, and how to properly invalidate it (if needed).

Especially the invalidation is tricky.

> An easy place to start would be SMWs special pages such as
> Special:Properties, Special:Types and Special:SemanticStatistics (or
> something like that). There you can easily cache the HTML output, and then
> when the page is hit again, and is still in the cache, just use the build up
> HTML, sparing you the need to do any queries (except the single one
> obtaining the HTML) and the cost of rendering the page itself.

Don't forget i18n. On particular complex pages you might need to cache
both the queried and processed data and the generated html output for
each language.

In special I'm most concerned of the buildup of queries on normal page
views, that happen much more often that special page views and they
add up to lot to decrease general snappiness.

  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström