Hi John,

By "game", I assume you're referring to what is usually called "workflow".
It's true that MediaWiki could have much better support for defining
workflow - there's no reason why requesting a page deletion on Wikipedia
should require three steps, for instance - but I don't think you'd need to
have any sort of workflow framework to have better access control;
MediaWiki just needs to more consistently respect existing read permissions.

-Yaron