Dear all,

I think that besides the great management of data inside a wiki, we should not
forget that text annotation (not in the editor, but on the resulting wiki
pages) is a good use case for many mediawiki installations.

There is an unfortunately abandoned extension Semantic Text Annotator:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Text_Annotator
The author has sent me a PDF document (in German) describing his approach and
his achievements. It worked for some time, but does not work in MW 1.27.

There is also a different approach, the Annotator.js library:
http://annotatorjs.org/

Is anybody of the developers interested in
- taking over Semantic Text Annotator extension or
- developing an extension for Annotator.js - at best including semantifying the
annotations

To the users/organisations: is anybody interested in this and can put up some
funding?

cheers,
Bernhard