Hi!

Samuel Lampa schrieb:

> A lot of projects seem to get very good use of some of the more modern
> chat solutions

This whole chat-system-discussion was a while ago now, and I'm not going to
question the result of it (as I'm fine with it too).

But I also found a new way that can help getting people into IRC.

The Matrix network is an decentralized open source messeging network that has a
good IRC bridge. With http://riot.im/ there is also a good messenger where you
can access IRC channels from your PC, phone etc.

So people could use Riot.im and join the IRC-channel directly with
/join #freenode_#semantic-mediawiki:matrix.org

Also - if you officialy want to support that - there is the option to create a
Matrix channel for semantic-mediawiki and bridge it to IRC. That means you set
up the channel in the Matrix and set the bridge up there, and a channel OP on
IRC has to confirm that by sending "yes" to MatrixBridge (which is an IRC bot).

In both cases you'll stay in the channel, that means you could follow
conversations on your phone even if you have started them on your PC. Also in
both cases you'll be able to drop files there from your Matrix client. Matrix
users will see the file while IRC users get a link.

I think this could help getting users together who are fine with IRC and others
who feel like they need something like Slack. It won't really chance things for
IRC users, and will make it possible for others so use something that behaves
like a "modern solution".

--
Martin