On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 1:20:21 AM UTC-5, Jeremy Evans wrote:

> Dataset#paged_each shouldn't lock the entire table, as it just selects
> rows, but the behavior in regards to locking depends on the database.  It
> would probably be best for you to try it in a test environment to be sure
> it functions as you expect, before using it in production.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy!

I'll do some thorough testing before running in production, and I'll report
back about the eventual results for future readers.

In my case, I'm on AWS RDS PostgreSQL version 9.3.10 and I'm using the
"sequel" and "pg" gems. So, I'd be using cursors with paged_each as it
stands. Do you know if that ought to be safe? I'm considering switching to
the "sequel_pg" gem for the streaming support, but I'm reluctant to change
things unnecessarily, unless streaming might work where cursors would not.

Thanks again,
- Trevor