OK, I set my app to not restart for every request, and the same error came
up with this inside my database helper:

DB = Sequel.connect('postgres://user1@localhost:5432/dbname1')
DBN = Sequel.connect('postgres://user1:secretpw@box.local:5432/dbname2')
DB.extension(:connection_validator)
DBN.extension(:connection_validator)

Obviously I've implemented it the wrong way.  I was assuming it was behind
the scenes with respect to the connection pool, and if there were no pools
open (default 60 minutes close time), it would initiate a new connection.

Is this correct?  What do I have to change for connections to start if the
pool is empty and/or all closed?

Cheers