US Relies Heavily on Saudi Money to Support Syrian Rebels

The New York Times

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dCu1yTh62RZElh5kQMTjBEKlRl5rJAN3IMP62_1z4QE72piI8NOSWeAwaVH1jO-Lf1xdyeyQA1tYX7LgVp7b4nia8wTCUKTOy2x9cSomDq24FgKrPlmNliQYhgKMsFe-4hFVVKAnKRmYC6c7gRPZTNSQm81bbrklO5Vsc7QKi8_ie-wBd4AkcqyNLwiFSToLRYJsjG_n7ITLb2JOYsPyyWDf-zmcs0qWPYn2mc3-vLwvdVift4sHxWRqTdoJgRXwgCpZehr4Hgs=&c=aQWOj9KhZl7W8NDQltkTX2CA52iFANW_UnrlNE1chHp8xt5H54iYCw==&ch=HEo7TuTN9h2066H-5YEAaQEpUrcxhyZTtGUqqm3kH4CIxi3gHsbAOA==>

http://www.algemeiner.com/2016/01/25/us-relying-on-saudi-money-to-fund-syrian-rebels/

When President Obama secretly authorized the Central Intelligence Agency to
begin arming Syria's embattled rebels in 2013, the spy agency knew it would
have a willing partner to help pay for the covert operation.  It was the same
partner the C.I.A. has relied on for decades for money and discretion in
far-off conflicts: the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Since then, the C.I.A. and its
Saudi counterpart have maintained an unusual arrangement for the rebel-training
mission, which the Americans have code-named Timber Sycamore. Under the deal,
current and former administration officials said, the Saudis contribute both
weapons and large sums of money, and the C.I.A takes the lead in training the
rebels on AK-47 assault rifles and tank-destroying missiles.