Sermon for Holy Christmas Day

The Infant's Hand Upon the Lips

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! AMEN. Today is the Holy Day of Christmas, the day on which we rejoice that Mary "gave birth to her firstborn Son and wrapped in Him swaddling clothes and laid Him in a manger."

         Dear Christian friends,

Some people are drawn to young children because children remind them of everything they used to be: unencumbered, unconcerned, unquestioning. When I hold an infant or small child in my arms, I usually feel the urge to press his hands against my cheeks and to kiss his tiny fingers. A couple of days ago, I asked a friend what people might wish to receive from such closeness to a child, it took my friend about two seconds to think of his answer: Innocence, he said.

The problem with the aura of innocence around a newborn child is that the aura does not remain for terribly long. Acorns never fall very far from oak trees and, for the most part, children eventually turn to be just like their parents. Like mom and dad, the children end up seeing things they wish they had not seen, saying things they feel sorry for saying, and doing things they regret ever doing. Like their parents, a growing child collects with each passing year another layer of memories that long to be forgotten, additional wounds of sorrow, and new wrinkles of worry. Sometimes the image of a child's innocence breaks to pieces like dropped glass. Other times, the image of innocence gradually erodes like sandstone in a riverbed. Either way, innocence always disappears.

Maybe that is what makes Christmas such an important time for going to Church, whether you are a regular member or an occasional guest. Christmas is not about the innocence of children. Christmas is about the innocence of one Child in particular. Mary "gave birth to her firstborn Son and wrapped in Him swaddling clothes and laid Him in a manger." Nestled in the dusty hay is the Infant who outshines all infants, like us in every way "yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15). Here is the Child born of His mother and yet the spitting image of God His Father, "merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness" (Psalm 86:15).

The shepherds "went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger." We need not feel jealous of these men who get to see their newborn King face to face, pressing His tiny hands to their weathered lips. Jesus came to these men by means of a miracle, and the same Jesus likewise comes also to you, also by means of a miracle. Your Lord's presence for you in a manger is no greater and no more significant and no more real than His presence for you here in His Word and in His Holy Communion. The innocence of this Child is for you, no less than it was for those who gathered at His improvised cradle. His innocence will not diminish with time or with His experience of grief. In the innocence of your Christ there is no remorse for words spoken or actions taken, because every Word spoken and every action taken in this Child's life is for you.

When I hold an infant or small child in my arms, I usually feel the urge to press his hands against my cheeks and to kiss his tiny fingers. That little, perceived aura of innocence in a newborn baby gives me a faint wisp of something I am no longer am-but then the image dissipates when I hand the child back to his mother.

Not so with the innocence of your Christ, which has been given to you and is yours now and forever! His is not a perceived innocence, but a true innocence that gets laid upon you like a blanket, covering the wrinkles and scars of your lost innocence. His is not an aura or image of innocence, but it is innocence in its purest form, spoken into your ears and poured into your throat. His is not an innocence that disappears like winter breath, either when the shepherds leave His manger or when you depart from your Christmas worship. The Christ Child's innocence lives and dwells within you because He Himself lives and dwells within you, despite all the things about you that make you feel empty of innocence.

Merry Christmas, Christians! The peace of God which passes all understanding guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Amen.

'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless otherwise
 noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors; posting of such
  gives members of this list implied consent for redistribution _with_
   _attribution_ unless otherwise specified by the author, as well as
             for quoting or use in a congregational setting
                     _with_or_without_attribution_.

   Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
   Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org