Intro
The Apostle John says in his first Epistle, “This is the victory that has
conquered the world: our faith” (1 John 5:4).  If so, then it seems that all we
have to do is have more faith.

If we believe more, if we have more faith, then faith will destroy our sinful
urges.  Faith will crush our frustrations and annoyances; it will wipe away our
aches and pains.  Why, faith would even ease our tensions and solve our
financial woes.  If we only had more faith, then faith would make life better.
For faith overcomes the world.

Main Body
And so we become convinced not only that we need faith, but that we need a
faith that never wavers, a faith that is always on fire.  And then what
happens?  We set out to prove to ourselves and everyone else that we have that
faith, that we do, indeed, believe!

And that’s what’s happening in many churches today--they’ve become
self-convincing societies.  Oh, look at so and so!  What faith he has.  If only
I could believe like he does.  If only I was always happy like he’s always
happy.  If only I was always on fire like him.  And yet, if you were to peel
away the veneer of his life, you’d see him doing the same thing--trying to
prove to himself, and everyone else, that he really does have the faith that
overcomes the world.

And then a few years later, you see that same man who was once on fire for God.
 You knew for some reason that he had quit coming to church.  And then you find
out why.  He gave up trying to live the lie, the charade, of having the
unquenchable fire of faith.  For his faith was based on feelings.  And when he
could no longer keep lying to himself, trying to convince himself that his
faith was for real, because his feelings told him so, he gave up.  He quit
believing.  For the object of his faith was his feelings--not Jesus!

You gotta have faith!  You gotta believe!  That’s the world’s motto for
success.  It’s the creed we repeat so often that we also believe it.  So we
make faith in faith our goal.  Or we make or faith in our perceptions of faith,
our feelings--instead of Jesus--our goal.

Oh it’s true--we are to believe!  Never doubt that!  But it’s what we are to
put our faith in, that’s what’s often left unsaid.  And when the object of our
faith is not clear, then our faith isn’t connected to the Lord.  We’re told to
believe, but we’re never told what our faith should grasp.  And so what happens?

You have faith in, or believe in, a multitude of things.  Perhaps, you believe
in yourself.  Perhaps, your measure of faith is your feelings, for how else
would you know if your faith is weak or strong?  Or you may believe in your
values.  Or you may believe in prayer.  Or you may believe in whatever you
want--as long as you believe in something.  But it’s faith in Jesus that
overcomes the world--and nothing else.

And so we get to Thomas in our Gospel reading.  He believed in something.  He
believed firmly and sincerely that what he heard the other disciples say about
Jesus was not true.  Jesus couldn’t be alive!  And Thomas wouldn’t believe that
until he had a sign.  And not just any sign, but the sign that he demanded.
Jesus would have to meet Thomas’ own litmus test before he would believe.

Yet, do not doubt this: Thomas didn’t just doubt--he no longer believed in
Jesus!  That’s why Jesus said to Thomas, “Do not disbelieve, but believe.”  Oh,
Thomas had faith in something, but it wasn’t Jesus.  And so Thomas had fallen
away from the faith; he was no longer a Christian; he was an unbeliever.

But notice how difficult it was for Thomas, and for us, to believe.  For Jesus
calls us to believe what we think is unreasonable.  Jesus tells us to throw
away what we are so sure is true, and suppress what we feel may be right.
That’s what Thomas had to do.

Thomas wasn’t there when Jesus first stood among to His Apostles after He arose
from the grave.  Later, the other disciples told Thomas, “We have seen the
Lord.”  But Thomas refused to believe what he heard.  Instead, he believed what
made sense to him and what felt right in his heart.

But our Lord knows what we are like.  He knows that we are often slow to
believe, and quick to doubt or even disbelieve.  He knows that fear often runs
our lives--not His soothing and comforting Word.  He knows that our spirit
often resists His Spirit.  And so our Lord gives us His Holy Spirit, over and
over, in every Divine Service, so we would “believe His holy Word and live a
godly life, here in time and hereafter in eternity” (Small Catechism).

That’s what Jesus breathing on His Disciples, now made Apostles, was all about.
 “Receive the Holy Spirit,” Jesus said.  With those words, Jesus breathed His
Spirit into His Apostles.

The Spirit not only gave them the Lord’s peace, but also the faith to believe
in, and hold on to, His peace.  The Spirit created in them a clean heart.  The
Spirit removed a heart of stone and replaced it with a warm, Spirit-filled
heart, pulsing with life.  For it was not just a spirit, but the Holy
Spirit--one of the Divine Persons of the Holy Trinity, who works in concert
with the Father and the Son to bring us into communion with God.

For what is the goal of faith?  It’s to bring us in communion, in oneness, with
God.  The Holy Spirit points us to Jesus.  Jesus brings us to the Father.  And
the Father declares and makes us holy because of Jesus, making us fit to be in
His eternal presence for all eternity.

The goal of faith is not to have your feelings on fire.  My goodness, your
sinful flesh, exciting music, or drugs can give you that--at least for a short
time.  But none of them can make you holy in God’s eyes and give you eternal
life.  That’s where true joy and peace come from, the joy and peace that
transcends this earthly life.

But why else did Jesus give His Disciples-now-turned-Apostles His Holy Spirit?
Jesus gave them His Spirit so they could do the tasks He was commissioning them
to do.  Our Gospel text for today mentions the forgiving and retaining of sins.

And so the Spirit, who proceeds from the Father, is given to the Apostles
through the Son.  They received the Spirit, who, in turn, gave that Spirit to
others in the waters of holy Baptism, through the preached Word, through the
Word of Absolution that Jesus had given them to speak, and even the Lord’s
Supper.

But it doesn’t end there.  And thank God that it doesn’t!  For our Lord Jesus
insists that not only the Apostles, but their successors in the Office of the
Holy Ministry--pastors--are to deliver His peace in the same way.  This peace
isn’t just an abstract and distant peace.  It comes in the flesh, using the
preached Word, the waters of Baptism, the hands of Absolution, and the bread
and wine of Holy Communion.  These are the Lord’s ways for His peace to enter
into your ears, to go into your mouth, and even to enliven your heart.  These
are the Lord’s ways for His peace to be as real as real can be.

Well, what else did Thomas get that night?  He not only received the Holy
Spirit, he also received in the flesh what his faith needed.  But here’s where
it get’s really good: Thomas didn’t get what he demanded; he got what he
needed.  For Thomas didn’t really know what he needed, he just thought he did.
He went by his feelings, feelings that wouldn’t believe until he could thrust
his finger in the nail holes of Jesus.

Although invited by Jesus, Thomas never touched those nail holes or placed his
hand in the Lord’s spear-pierced side.  When Thomas saw Jesus in His
resurrected flesh, that was enough to pull back the curtain of unbelief.
Thomas then cried out, “My Lord and my God.”

And it’s the same for us.  The Holy Spirit also pulls back the curtain of our
unbelief that we, too, may believe in Jesus.  The Word in the water of baptism
plants the seed of faith in our hearts.  The preached Word pierces our ears to
plant and renew faith at every Divine Service.  Our Lord’s Absolution calms our
troubled hearts for specific sins we may feel are unforgivable.   And in His
Supper, the Lord and Giver of Life gives us Himself in His body and blood.  For
only Jesus can give to us a true and genuine life in God.

So “do not disbelieve, but believe.”  That is what Our Lord says, not only to
Thomas, but also to you.  For whoever is born of God overcomes the world.  And
this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.

Because Jesus has risen from the dead, He has made all things right between you
and God the Father.  For the same Jesus who rose from the dead, showed Thomas
His nail prints and side.  And that same Jesus has triumphed over sin and
death--the same Jesus who will reunite you with your body on the Last Day, so
your communion and life in God will be full and free for all eternity!

That’s why we rejoice.  For the Spirit who reveals to us the Lord Jesus, who
brings us to the Father, is the same God who gives the peace beyond all
understanding.  For it is then that we have what the world cannot give: the
peace of the Lord that settles and calms our hearts, even while it surpasses
our understanding.

So who is the One who overcomes the world?  It’s not the one who believes for
the sake of believing.  It’s not the one who measures faith by his feelings.
No, it’s the one who believes that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living
God--no matter what he feels.

For the Holy Spirit who points us to Jesus--not to our feelings.  Our feelings
only come along for the ride.  And the Holy Spirit continues to breathe into us
the breath of eternal life by speaking to our spirit, and by planting the flesh
and blood of the Lord within our bodies and our being.

Conclusion
For by the Holy Spirit, the Lord Himself comes to you, even right now in the
preached Word, the Word who is Jesus Christ.   And by the Spirit, the Lord
Himself speaks to you His own peace.  He gives you His word of forgiveness and
even gives you His own Body and Blood.

That is why we pray, when we sing:

    Lord, be our light when worldly darkness veils us;
    Lord, be our shield when earthly armor fails us;
    And in the day when hell itself assails us,
    Grant us Your peace, Lord. (LSB 659, st. 3)  Amen.

 --
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we are to receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the
Augsburg Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of
Christ Jesus, His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh
and blood given and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body,
soul, and spirit.

 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org