"I Am; You ____!"
Sermon Text - John 8:48-59
Sun. & Wed., May 30 & June 2, 2010
Holy Trinity Sunday - Second Sun. a. Pentecost, Year C
Old Testament Lesson - Proverbs 8:1-4, 22-31
Epistle Lesson - Acts 2:14a, 22-36
Gospel Lesson - John 8:48-59
Zion Lutheran Church, Beecher, IL

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit.
[Amen.]

Dear friends in Christ Jesus,

"Whaaaaat?  That can't be true!"  By February of 1943 the seemingly
impossible had occurred…  The powerful German Wehrmacht had been soundly
defeated at the horrid Battle of Stalingrad!

When Hitler's troops invaded the Soviet Union in June of 1941, the only
question on anyone's minds was not "Would… but When would the Soviet Army
surrender?"

What had seemed to be inevitable…  the German defeat of the Soviet Union…
was now not only unrealized…  but…  for most historians…  the Soviet
victory at that brutal winter battle actually signaled the turning point
of World War II that was fought in Europe.  From that point…  more or
less…  Hitler's legions were on the defensive until their final defeat a
little over 2 years later.

No doubt, when the newspaper headlines announced the defeat of the over 1
million thoroughly trained, highly motivated German troops at Stalingrad…
most people said just what I said  when this sermon began: "Whaaaaat?
That can't be true!"

But "true" it was.  What no one thought possible...  was, indeed, a
reality!

In today's Gospel reading, Jesus' adversaries are at it   again.  They,
by now, are publicly opposing Him…  even saying that He's possessed by a
demon.  And, as you heard, at the end of this encounter, Jesus really
trips their trigger…  Jesus told the Jews:  "anyone who keeps My word
will never taste death."

That  enraged the Jews.  But Jesus didn't stop.  He was on a roll.  He
was speaking the truth…  and the Jews needed to hear it at this moment.
He further told them: "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see My
day.  He saw it and was glad!"

Incredulous…  the Jews got the point that Jesus was making…  but they
refused to believe it.  In a sense they repeated the now familiar words:
"Whaaaat?  That can't be true!"

Jesus had inferred that Abraham…  who'd lived thousands of years before
any of them…  Abraham himself, had been looking forward to Jesus' coming
among God's people.  In disbelief, the Jews taunted Jesus: "You're not
yet 50 years old…  and have You seen Abraham?"

But Jesus continued: "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was,  I
am!"

Those words…  especially the last two…  really, really pushed their
button.  For with those words…  "I Am…"  Jesus likened Himself to the
great "I Am"  who Moses encountered on the mountain.  "I Am" was the name
that God told Moses to use…  when he would tell Pharaoh Who was demanding
that he release the Israelites to return to their homeland.

"I Am" was a clear, unmistakable expression that referred to the almighty
God…
and every Jew knew it!

And so, with those words, Jesus told the Jews the truth…  they were in
the presence of the eternal, almighty God, Himself!  But…  rather than
cowering…  in their anger, they picked up stones intending to kill Jesus
on the spot.

But…  suddenly…  in still another miracle…  Jesus vanished.  We're told
that He simply "went out of the temple."  Even with evidence all around
them, the Jews were still saying:  "That can't be true!"

Today, we, along with most of Christendom, are observing Holy Trinity
Sunday.  And on this day, we're considering the doctrine that the only
true God reveals Himself in a concept  that…  although it's impossible to
completely understand…  that He reveals Himself as three Persons in one
Godhead - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

And, just as it was in Jesus' encounter with the Jews…  so it is today.
The truth of God…  Who He is…  and how He works among His people…  the
truth of God strikes disbelief among so many in our world.  But yet…  the
truth is the truth…  whether it's believed or not!

The Jews wanted the Messiah to appear as a warrior-king…  not as someone
who said… that His kingdom wasn't even of this world.

It was because of all this, that they rejected Jesus and even hated Him.
But Jesus is the second Person of the Holy Trinity.  He came to earth in
bodily form taking on human flesh in the womb of Mary.

In other words, Jesus is love incarnate…  love in the flesh.  It's
through Jesus that we see the love of God the Father for us in action…
Jesus having entered our world specifically to redeem us from our sins…
dying and rising three days later.

And it's the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth…  so that we might
know God correctly.

But…  with all that said…  the important thing is to not necessarily
understand how God can be all three Persons of the Godhead at once… no…
the important thing is for us to meet Him as He reveals Himself to us…
as our Father, our Savior, and our Helper who leads us down the right
path…  helping us in every need.

In faith we simply take Him at His word…  believing that what He says
about Himself is the truth…  whether we fully comprehend it or not.

Oh yeah…  at times we're like the Jews…  angry at Jesus for not being our
personal Vending Machine of favors.  At times we're like the Jews…  not
really believing that the great "I Am" still comes among us…  calling us
to lead our lives according to His word…  and not according to our whims,
sinful desires, and evil lusts.

Where that is so…  repent, and with your God-given faith believe that
Your Triune God has not only created you…  but He has also redeemed you
by the blood of the Son on the cross…  and then leads you to believe the
seemingly impossible; that is…  that through the great "I Am…"  you are
saved…  you are forgiven!

This sermon is really rather simple.  As I was completing it, I thought
to myself that there really weren't any profound comments to be heard…
especially when you consider that the complex doctrine of the Holy
Trinity is being discussed.

But yet…  maybe that's the way that it ought to be…  for ultimately we
take on faith that what's revealed to us in Scripture is the truth… and
that it's all written so that we "will never see death."  We take it on
faith that the great "I Am…" declares "You are…"

He says:  "Because I continue to love you, you are saved.  You are My
precious possession  forever!"

And yes…  some will say:  "Whaaaaat?  That can't be true!"  But "true" it
is.  It is indeed, a reality!

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit.
[Amen.]

May the peace of God, which passes all human understanding, keep your
hearts and minds in Christ Jesus unto life everlasting.  [Amen.]

.
TODAY: iPads for $23.74?
Special Report: Apple iPads are being auctioned for an incredible 80% off!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c07d67bc53841e8aa3st05vuc
 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org