Intro
Long before he was Abraham, he was called “Abram.”  Yet even before he had his
name-change, God had still richly blessed him.  When the Lord told Abram to
leave his homeland, this is the promise He gave him:
I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you.  I will make your
name great, and you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and
I will curse those who curse you; and in you, all the peoples of the earth will
be blessed (Gen. 12:2-3).

Through God’s hand of blessing, Abram “had become wealthy in livestock, silver,
and gold” (Gen. 13:2).  He became so wealthy, his flocks so large, that he and
his nephew, Lot, needed to live apart to have enough fields to feed their
flocks (Gen. 13:7).

The Lord also made Abram into a mighty warrior, fierce in battle.  The Old
Testament tells us of his fighting prowess after four enemies had abducted Lot.
[But] when Abram heard that his nephew had been taken prisoner, he mobilized
318 of his trained men... During the night, Abram and his servants divided his
forces, attacked his enemies, and chased them... He recovered all the goods and
rescued Lot, his nephew, with his possessions, the women, and the other
captives (Gen. 14:14-16).

Main Body
Yet, despite all of his blessings, success, and comforts, Abram still suffered
deep anxieties.  He was afraid.  Now we don’t exactly know what his fears were.
 But today’s Old Testament reading clearly tells us that Abram was afraid.  He
must have suffered some deep-seated fear, because God’s first words to him in
today’s reading are, “Do not be afraid” (Gen. 15:1).

This fear that Abram felt--whatever it may have been--was spoken through his
wish for a son: “Lord, what can you give me since I remain childless?” (Gen.
15:2)  It is almost as if nothing else mattered to Abram if he didn’t have a
son!  Wanting a son was festering in his bones!

A son would’ve brought honor to Abram--but it had to be more than paternal
pride!  For Abram, a son would have been a source of comfort against his fears
of an unknown future.  Abram also wouldn’t have to worry that someone outside
his family would inherit his possessions, in his case, “Eliezer from Damascus”
(Gen. 15:2).

Perhaps, Abram also realized that his formidable military strength was
withering before his eyes.  As many of us know, as you age, your legs tire,
your arms grow weary, your endurance wanes, and your reflexes slow.  But if he
had a son, he could face his old age without fear.  He would know that someone
would care for him and his wife, providing food and shelter, comfort and
warmth, and protecting them from enemies.

Perhaps, Abram’s fear was tethered to an enemy he could not overcome.  Was it
the last enemy that you and I must also face?  For who can escape death when it
comes to take us?  But a son would carry on Abram’s legacy.  A son would be the
hallmark of Abram’s memory on the earth.

But whatever Abram’s fears were, God spoke His word of comfort and peace: “Do
not be afraid, Abram, for I am your shield, your great reward” (Gen. 15:1).  It
was then that Abram voiced his gut-twisting concerns to God.  But pushed by his
fears, Abram’s unbelief also rises to give voice: “O Almighty Lord, what can
You give me since I am childless and the heir of my estate is Eliezer of
Damascus?” (Gen. 15:2).

Abram doubted God.  And doubt is uncertainty, a wobbly faith teetering on the
edge of unbelief.  God had already promised Abram a son long before today’s Old
Testament reading.  God had already promised to make this Abram the father of a
great nation (Gen. 12:2).  Abram already had God’s promise of a great future.
And yet today, we hear of his doubts.

Abram in his sinful weakness needed continual assurance.  God needed to remind
Abram, time and again, of His promises.  The Word of God that Abram already had
heard--and already knew--is the same Word of God that Abram needed to hear over
and again.

And who are we compared with Abram?  Are we not also teetering, wobbling on the
edge of unbelief?  Does God not also need to tell us over and again of His
promises for us?  As Abram lived, so also do we live--by faith in a promise not
yet fully seen!  Like Abram, we are called to live in “the confident assurance
of what we hope for and the certainty that what we cannot see exists” (Hebrews
11:1).

Like Abram, God has called both you and me out of our old, pagan land of death
and sin.  Like Abram, God has called us into a new land, a promised land, a
land of Eden, a land laden with the fruit of the Gospel, the forgiveness of
sins, and the hope of eternal life.

As the Apostle Peter said, “Once you were not a people, but now you are the
people of God” (1 Peter 2:10).  Like Abram, struggles also box us in on every
side; yet, like Abram, God has not abandoned us.  “We are hard-pressed on every
side, but not crushed; frustrated, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but
not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).

Yet, even among the blessings God has showered on you, what fears still haunt
you within?  Do those same fears haunt you like Abram?  Do secrets known only
to you and God terrorize your conscience?  What is your fear?  Is it the risk
of losing your possessions?  Is it the possibility of being left penniless and
destitute?  Is it the fear of illness or weakness or age?  Is it the fear of
death?

You, dear saint, are also like Abram.  Like Abram, hasn’t God also called you
to walk by faith and not by sight?  God spoke His Word to Abram--and despite
that Word of promise--Abram still feared, still worried, and still doubted.
God has also spoken His Word to you--and despite that Word of promise, you
still fear, still worry, and still doubt.  Like Abram, unbelief is also a
constant temptation that assaults your faith.

Yet, against such weaknesses of faith, God is patient, just as He was with
Abram.  Abram had already heard the Word and promise of God.  He knew that an
entire nation would come from him.  He knew that, though him, all the peoples
of the earth would be blessed (Gen. 12:3).  Yet, when Abram needed constant
reassurance, God gave it!  God said, “Do not be afraid, Abram, for I am your
shield, your great reward” (Gen. 15:1).

In the same way, God continually speaks His Word to you.  Against your fears,
your temptations, and your unbelief, God also gives to you the same comforting
message of reassurance He gave Abram: Do not be afraid, dear Christian, for I
am your shield, your great reward.

The strongest appeal from Abram’s heart was his longing for a son.  It was as
if Abram’s hopes and dreams were all bound up in that one, enduring hope.  His
fears were always stirring within him because he didn’t yet have a son.  Abram
wanted a son!  He yearned for one who would come and calm his fears and fulfill
his hopes.

And God answered Abram’s prayers.  A son, Isaac, was born to him in his old
age.  But Isaac, his son, was only the beginning of his blessing.  For God had
promised that, through Abram, all the peoples of the earth would be blessed
(Gen. 12:3).

Through Abram’s son, Isaac, God sent a greater Son.  That Son would not only
meet Abram’s earthly needs, but through His own suffering and death, He would
also provide for Abram’s eternal needs.  It was Abram’s son--Jesus, true God
born of Abram’s bloodline through Mary--through whom God put all of Abram’s
fears to rest.

Just as the saints of God share in Abram’s fleshly fears and doubts, they also
share in that mighty man’s boundless yearning for a son.  Because we are also
fallen creature of sin, we also long for the One who can calm our fears.  We
also cry out for the One in whom we can dare place our hope.  We also look to
the One in whom we can trust our eternal well-being.  In a way, all God’s
saints are Abram and all God’s saints yearn for a Son.

Our heavenly Father has seen your need and your longing.  He has looked with
compassion on you, you whom sin has also caused to doubt God.  And God is
faithful.  He has given you what you need--He has given you a Son!

We see this in what the angel, Gabriel, said to Mary: “You will become pregnant
and give birth to a son, and you are to name Him Jesus.  He will be great and
will be called the Son of the Most High” (Luke 1:31-32).  Yes, “when the time
had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, to
redeem those under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons”
(Galatians 4:4-5).

In this Son, God’s crucified-and-resurrected Son, God speaks His peace to calm
your fears.  He speaks His Word to forgive your sinfulness.  This is because
God has kept His promise to you and has given you His promised Son.

In our Old Testament reading, we finally hear of Abram’s trust in God’s
promises.  God spoke, and Abram heard.  “Abram believed the Lord, and it was
credited to him as righteousness” (Gen. 15:6).

Conclusion
That is what God does: He credits righteousness.  That means God credits you as
being righteous.  That means He proclaims and so makes you righteous because of
His Son, Jesus.

This means that nothing now exists for you to fear.  For, like Abram, God has
given you the Son, just as He promised.  And that changes everything.  Amen.

 --
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we are to receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the
Augsburg Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of
Christ Jesus, His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh
and blood given and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body,
soul, and spirit.

 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org